Saturday, January 28, 2012

Permits 'n Parts




Permits

Yay! I got my plumbing permit yesterday at the SF Department of Building (1600 Mission Street) for $164. I had no idea how much it would cost me and this price seems very reasonable.

Dave the Inspector was not interested in the system schematic that I created. He said their biggest concerns are: (1) how the panels are affixed to the roof, (2) placement and strapping of the solar storage tank, (3) that I'm real careful about not allowing water from the sytem backfeeding into the potable supply. He recommended that I refer to the California Plumbing Code for any code questions that I will have. Unfortunately for this project, I'm much more familiar with the electrical code (NEC) and how to find things in it than for plumbing, so I might have to bring on a consulting plumbing. We'll see...

Parts!

Yesterday, the first small bits of my system arrived via UPS. The parts on hand from pinky to thumb are: a pressure relief valve, gate valve, flowmeter, 3/4" full port ball valve, and a tempering valve. Additionally I received a swing check valve (plumber's diode) to keep water moving in one direction. Getting the the first few parts makes this project seem more real than any Dia diagram or SketchUp model can. woO! The big component (panels, storage tank) will be coming up on a separate non-UPS truck in the next week or so. It's time to make space in the garage...

1 comment: